Access the Trail
Look for our famous road signs
To better introduce visitors to the Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail, we designated nine “gateway” sites at exceptional birding locations. There are two or three gateways located in each Trail section. Gateways have staffed visitor centers and serve as hubs for Trail information. Each gateway has a special kiosk with birdwatching tips for beginners and introductory information regarding the Trail. Loaner optics can be checked out for free for a day with a driver’s license or major credit card at all gateway locations. Or stop by and pick up a copy of the Trail's guide booklets.
Visit these gateway locations:
East Florida Section:
- Fort Clinch State Park (Fernandina Beach)
- Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge (Titusville)
- Tenoroc Fish Management Area (Lakeland)
West Florida Section:
Panhandle Florida Section:
South Florida Section:
- Arthur R. Marshall Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge (West Palm Beach)
- Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary (Naples)
Need a Birding Trail guidebook?
Go to our Trail Guides Page HERE
Additional Trail information can be found by:
- using the Trail Locations and Trip-Planning Wizard quick links found on each web page
- visiting the GFBWT's Facebook and Twitter sites.
- downloading or subscribing to the GFBWT's Kite Tales newsletter
- downloading the GFBWT's free mobile device application Nature Viewing Along the Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail from iTunes.com or Nature Viewing in Florida from play.google.com/store